Army Installation Management Command POSTAL OPERATIONS ASSISTANT in United States
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
*About the Positions:*
This is an open-continuous announcement. The first cut-off date for referral is 19 July 2017. After that date, candidates will be rated and referred to management as vacancies occur.
Candidates' application package remains valid until the closing date of this announcement or until the applicants are selected or remove themselves from consideration.
Candidates who decline consideration or selection or receive a letter notifying them that they are ineligible due to missing documents may re-establish active consideration by submitting a new application package and will be considered when the next referral list is issued to management.
The positions are located in Brussels, Belgium, in the heart of Europe. The surrounding area is a large city within 30 minutes drive from other cities. The base is in central Belgium with the Netherlands, Luxemburg, France, and Germany within a day's drive; the United Kingdom is also easily accessible via ferry or chunnel. It is small but offers most amenities provided by larger installations. The average weather is mild with little extremes of hot or cold seasonal conditions.
For additional information please visit http://www.usagbenelux.eur.army.mil/
Who May Apply:
Only applicants in the local commuting area who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. However, current Civilian Army employees and VEOA may apply worldwide. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
**Attention NAF Employees. As you do not receive SF50's, you will need to provide DA Forms 3434 for verification of eligibility.
**Attention AAFES Employees. As you do not receive SF50's, you will need to provide a copy of your employment history form for verification of eligibility. A Certificate of Assignment (COA) is not an acceptable proof of eligibility.
Current Civilian Employee with the Department of the Army
- Current Department of Defense (DOD) - Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Current Permanent Federal Civilian Employee (other than DOD)
- Former Federal Employee, eligible for Reinstatement
- Eligible under Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
- Eligible under Veterans with a service-connected disability of 30% or more
- Eligible under Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA)
- Eligible for overseas Military Spouse Preference
- Eligible for overseas Family Member Preference
- Eligible for NAF/AAFES Interchange Agreement
- Eligible due to Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP)
- Eligible for Excepted Service Overseas Family Member Appointment (FMNP)
You will serve as a Postal Operations Assistant in postal facilities of IMCOM-Europe located in Brussels, Belgium. You will perform manual and automated processing of incoming and outgoing mail. You will operate various customer-service windows which involve postal finance, accountable mail, official mail and in/out processing of package delivery. You will operate a step side van or similar vehicle incidental to postal operations duties.
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion, VEOA eligibles, Military Spouses, 30% disabled veterans, VRA)
Questions? This job is open to 4 groups.
- Must be able to satisfy the requirements of the 26JUL12 DODI 1400.25 V1230:
- Visit http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/140025v1230.pdf
- Must be able to obtain and maintain GOV License
- Must complete the Postal Service Center (PSC) training module within
- 6 months of employment
- Must complete HAZMAT handling & processing training prior to handling mail
- Secret clearance required
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job.
Specialized experience at the GS-05 level is defined as: experience in verifying and receiving mail; using automated systems; and assisting customers.
This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lover grade/level position in the federal service (GS-04).
Specialized experience at the GS-06 level is defined as: experience in performing manual and automated processing of incoming and outgoing mail, operating various customer service windows handling Postal Finance, Accountable Mail, Official Mail, and Package Delivery, and driving a step side van or similar vehicle involved in postal operations duties.
This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lover grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Postal Operations
- Customer services skills
- Automated systems knowledge
Time in Grade Restriction (at the GS-06 level only): Must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade (or equivalent).
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the GS-05 grade (or equivalent).
Substitution of Education at the GS-05 level: four (4) full academic years of undergraduate level education beyond high school which equipped you with the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the duties of this position.
Equivalent combination of Experience and Education is qualifying for the GS-05 level.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, U.S. Department of Education website at - http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Education can be substituted for experience. Review the qualification requirements for specific information.
Foreign Education: Education that has been completed in a foreign college or university may be used to meet the job requirements. In order to receive credit in the examination for your foreign education, you must have your foreign education evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education credentials. Such education must be declared the equivalent of similar undergraduate or graduate work in a U.S. institution.Please include this information in your resume.
Substitution of Education is not applicable at the GS-06 level.At the GS-06 level, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone- substitution of education for experience is generally not applicable.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two-year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must complete the Postal Service Center (PSD) training module with-in six (6) months of employment.
- Shift Work, weekends, and/or holidays required.
- Must be able to obtain/maintain a military motor vehicle operator's license.
- Must complete Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) handling and processing training prior to handling the mail.
- Must be able to lift 70 pounds, stand for long periods of time.
- A pre-employment physical is required.
- Annual leave will not normally be granted for the period of 15 November to 15 January except for emergencies.
- Employee is held accountable for monetary imbalances when performing postal finance duties.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a SECRET security clearance.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Applicants must comply with the Exceptional Family Member Program requirements as outlined in the DoD Instruction 1315.19.
- U.S. citizens overseas under ordinarily resident status are not eligible for appointment under the Status of Forces Agreement.
- Locality pay does not apply in the overseas area.
- On this overseas accompanied tour, medical and DoDDS special education services may not be available in the immediate location of this position.
- In the overseas areas, access for civilian employees and their families to military medical and dental treatment facilities is on a space-available and reimbursable basis only. Medical care may be provided by host nation providers. The availability and level of care at host nation medical facilities will vary by location. Movement overseas may require you to initiate a change in your health benefits plan to ensure coverage.
- Pay retention may be offered to successful applicants for positions at overseas locations. For this provision to apply to employees already overseas, the selected individual would have to require a permanent change of station move and would have to be selected as a result of a recruitment effort that had been extended outside of the overseas command involved.
- For positions in a foreign country, that country's laws or international agreements may have a direct impact on the ability of an employee's same sex domestic partner or spouse to accompany the employee and receive certain benefits. If you believe you may be affected by these laws and agreements, you should familiarize yourself with relevant information before applying for or accepting this position.
- Must be able to satisfy the requirements of the July 26, 2012, Department of Defense Instruction 1400.25, Volume 1230, (www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/140025v1230.pdf).
- Annual Leave will not be granted for the period 15 Nov to 15 Jan except for emergencies.
- Employee will be held accountable for monetary imbalances when performing postal finance duties.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Management may select at any of the grade levels announced.
- Noncompetitive promotion potential to target grade.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/473663400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-06 to 2017-12-31
Salary: $28,545 to $41,368 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 05 - 06
Series: 0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: EUJU171622761983079S
Control number: 473663400