American Battle Monuments Commission Assistant Superintendent in Hombourg, Belgium
About the Agency
This is an open continuous announcement to fill positions as they become available. There is no guarantee that any position at any particular location will be recruited. Applicants will only be considered for positions within the countries they have indicated on the application questionnaire. Qualified applications may be considered as early as November 15, 2016 and thereafter as vacancies occur. Applications will remain on file for 90 days beyond the closing date of this announcement.
The American Battle Monuments Commission, established by the Congress in 1923, is an independent agency of the Executive Branch of the Federal Government. The Commission is the "guardian of America's overseas commemorative cemeteries and memorials" and honors the service, achievements and sacrifice of United States Armed Forces at 25 overseas cemeteries that serve as resting places for almost 125,000 American war dead; on Tablets of the Missing that memorialize more than 94,000 U.S. servicemen and women; and through 27 memorials, monuments and markers.
Cemetery Superintendent is our mission critical position. Superintendents are responsible for:
- Directing the cemetery staff and resources to assure that the cemetery is maintained to the very high standards of the ABMC;
- Providing a memorable visitor experience by informing the public about ABMC commemorative sites and their history. This announcement may be used to fill training positions in any overseas ABMC cemeteries in the countries of France, Belgium, Luxembourgand the United Kingdom. We are looking for candidates interested in starting at an entry-level and training to become Cemetery Superintendents.
There is a French foreign language requirement for these positions. Details are described in the "Requirements" section of this announcement. If you speak Italian please see similar vacancy OO-16-28.
Please visit our web site at http://www.abmc.gov/ for more information about the ABMC and our mission.
In a developmental capacity and under the direct supervision of a Cemetery Superintendent the incumbent will receive training and developmental assignments designed to familiarize him or her with the full scope of cemetery operations as practiced by the ABMC, to include:
- Facility and equipment maintenance,
- Horticulture and land management,
- Oversight of engineering projects, logistics, and purchasing,
- Supervising local cemetery personnel,
- Organizing and participating in commemorative ceremonies, and
- Communicating the story of the soldiers interred and memorialized in our cemeteries. We're looking for:
- A highly motivated individual who wants to become one of only 25 people in the world entrusted with the commemoration of America's overseas military legacy;
- An interest in the history of the First and Second World Wars and the ability to successfully integrate into a foreign country;
- Ability to supervise a blue-collar work crew in their local language;
- Ability to supervise and care for a cemetery, including the physical features, utilities, and horticultural elements;
- Ability to conduct Interpretation with the public in a formal, structured manner as understood as a Professional discipline and described by the National Association for Interpretation.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
- You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Applications will be accepted from current and former competitive service Federal employees, and US Citizens eligible under special hiring authorities (VEOA, handicapped, Peace Corp volunteers, etc.)
Questions? This job is open to 4 groups.
- U.S Citizenship
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation
- Foreign Language Proficiency (see below for details)
- Driving certification
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Mobility agreement is required as a condition of employment
You may qualify for this position based on either specialized experience or education. Either way you must meet the qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. A combination of experience and education may also be used.
You may qualify at the GS-7 if you fulfill one of the following qualifications:
- One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 grade level in the Federal service. Examples include: entry level professional or administrative experience related to managing a program, working independently, and dealing with the public; or
- A bachelor's degree with either a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 based on a 4.0 scale; a 3.5 GPA based on a 4.0 scale for required courses completed in a major field of study during junior and senior year of 4 year college or university; class standing of upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or a major subdivision of the college; or membership in a National Scholastic Honor Society certified by the Association of College Honor Societies, excluding freshman honor societies; or
- One full year of graduate level education in an accredited or pre-accredited college or university. The education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work; or
A combination of education and experience as listed above. You may qualify at the GS-9 if you fulfill one of the following qualifications:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-7 grade level in the Federal service. Examples include: advanced entry level professional or administrative experience supervising staff, assisting with the management of a maintenance program, and communicating with the public in a structured manner; or
- A Master's degree or equivalent graduate degree; or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, or LL.B or J.D.; or
- You have some specialized experience as described in A, but less than one year; and you have more than one year but less than two years of education as described in B. You have computed the percentage of the requirements that you meet, and the total is at least 100%. (To compute the percentage, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of graduate education beyond the first year by 18. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify.) Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. Please make sure your specialized experience/requirement(s) can be identified in your resume.
Are you using your education to qualify? If so you must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
- Graduate Education: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours that your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
- Foreign Education:If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html It is not necessary to include transcripts in your application if qualifying based on experience alone.
Language Requirement This is a developmental assignment designed to prepare the selectee for posting at any ABMC cemetery worldwide. Because 15 of our 25 sites are in French-speaking countries proficiency in Frenchis a requirement for final selection for allof these positions, including positions in the United Kingdom. Applicants will be evaluated by a third-party testing facility prior to interview to determine their proficiency in speaking and reading French using the Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) scale. You should be prepared for a language evaluation immediately upon consideration. A minimum score of ILR speaking 3 / reading 2+ is required to qualify. More information on the ILR scale is available online.
Proficiency in languages other than French (particularly Italian, Dutch, Arabic, and Spanish), while not required for selection, should be indicated on your application.
Time in Grade Time-in-grade restrictions apply for all candidates considered under Merit Promotion (generally applicants who have held a Federal civilian appointment within the previous 52 weeks).
Dual-Citizenship These positions are restricted to U.S. citizens only. However, if you are alsothe citizen of another country please indicate this on your application. Dual French/American citizenship disqualifies you for these positions, even for locations outside of France. Citizenship in other countries may also disqualify you for certain locations.
Closing Date Only experience and education obtained at the time of consideration will be considered.
What To Expect Next
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. When a vacant position becomes available your application will be evaluated and the most highly qualified candidates will be subjected to a language evaluation at Agency expense to establish your aptitude reading/speaking French. Applicants that pass the language evaluation will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview.
Review our benefits
Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA): To be eligible for a VEOA appointment under Merit Promotion procedures, the veteran must be a preference eligible or a veteran separated after 3 years or more of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions.
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities:?For more information on noncompetitive appointment authority eligibility requirements:
- Persons with Disabilities-Schedule A
- Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans
- Special Hiring Authority for Certain Military Spouses
- Other Special Appointment Authorities Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/454816500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2016-10-29 to 2017-09-30
Salary: $35,009 to $55,666 / This position is eligible for Overseas Post Allowance per DSSR 220
Pay scale & grade: GS 7 - 9
Series: 1630 Cemetery Administration Services
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: OO-16-27
Control number: 454816500